Our first date is an area of discussion as we really do not know whether our first lunch together classified as a date. We even do not know if our first evening out together was a date. We were really paranoid back then about the whole relationship thing - I didn't want one and he didn't want to move too fast (the benefits of developing a friendship before dating).If we consider February as our first date, we managed to have lunch at a chinese restaurant on February 6th 2001. If we consider our first evening out as our first date (I gravitate to this one), we went to the Architect's BBQ on August 18th 2001 at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. We look at August 18th (well, August 19th) as our anniversary date for our first kiss.August 18/19th 2001 is still a really interesting time that we explore on occasion. It was the first time that I went to an event with a male and did not feel the urge to be attached to his side all night - but I did enjoy watching him as he talked with his professional colleagues. It was also the first time where I was not required to be "on", i.e. speaking intelligently on a particular topic. These people were architects and engineers and designers. I was a just an IT, Policy and Strategy person who was enjoying my steak and talking to the people at my table about ballroom and salsa dancing. The best part was after the party ended when we sat on the dock outside of the yacht club and watched the shooting stars.
We sat and talked for hours that night about everything. We knew a lot about each other from the 8 months we had been friends but that night we got into our hopes and fears and managed to link various aspects of our stories together. This is important because both of us used to just share bits and pieces of information - never enough to paint a full picture but enough to get it off of our chests. It was comforting to be able to talk about what certain events had done to me on the inside and he shared why he had completely avoided being in relationships. Both of us were very cynical at the time and the conversation allowed each of us to figure out why we were that way.At about 2am we decided to head home. I had my bike (a motorcycle is much cheaper than a car in Bermuda) and he had his parent's car (station wagon at that). I had purposely taken my bike because I had, at the beginning of the night, intended to attend the BBQ with Aidan as a friend, not as a date. Added to that, he lived at the other end of the Island (about 30 minutes away from my home). But for some reason we did not want to stop talking. So Aidan, being the engineer that he is (and really crazy at that) loaded my bike in the back of the car. I was stunned.So we talked all the way home and after getting my bike out of the car and up the driveway we stalled for another hour. Both of us wanted to kiss each other. Both of us were concerned that we'd be seen as being too forward. Both of us were getting really paranoid (and I mean really paranoid). I finally just told him that I was going to kiss him I did) and after stalling for another 5 minutes we did. Then I literally ran up the driveway.
No comments:
Post a Comment