In September 2006 we officially became family.... this blog records what happened next...
Monday, October 9, 2006
October 9, 2006
We tried really hard to start October 8 off on a good note because of all of the traveling that we had ahead of us. After an early breakfast, giving Akos his gift and putting our bags out, we walked to Gassan’s, the diamond cutting and polishing operation on one of the canals. It was a lovely walk with almost no traffic and people walking their dogs along the canals. We arrived at Gassan’s about 15 minutes before they opened. We signed up for the free tour and then were taken to a place with other tour guests. I was able to purchase a porcelain bell for the Christmas tree. We had our tour with another couple who I believe were looking for an engagement ring. We had a good tour and were shown the stages of diamond production from having the rough, to cutting it, to faceting it and then polishing it. We saw people polishing diamonds using the traditional tools and were also shown the patented Gassan cut that had 121 facets.We were then taken into a room and given an overview of the four Cs. In Europe, the colour classifications differ as they have names, not letters. We saw loose stones, compared to one another, with the related prices and then we went through trays and trays of rings, pendants, and earrings. It was great and the prices generally were not too bad. Our tour ended in the Gassan shop so Aidan and I got to work looking for a pair of diamond solitaire earrings. We found the perfect set -- .26carat, Top Wessenton (equivalent to colour f/g in the US system), PK1 in a round brilliant cut set in 18 carat white gold – and it did not break the bank! They’re excellent!We walked back to the ship for 11 a.m. transfer. If only we knew that it would be our last bit of peace for the whole day. Getting to New York was HELL! We detest the Frankfurt airport with a passion. It took over an hour to find the tax refund office. We had to go through at least four security checkpoints yesterday. We just got more and more irritated and realized that we would have been better off making our own travel arrangements and flying via London versus New York. Anyhow, we boarded our 7 1/2 hour flight to New York, crammed into tiny seats. I couldn't put my seat back, because the woman behind me kept pushing back -- I was too nice, I should have done it anyway. The guy in front of me did and I was cramped the whole way. The good thing was that I got to watch ‘The Devil Wears Prada’. Yes, I can say I have lived parts of that movie.We got to New York and had to sit on the runway to get to our gate. We finally got in and had to do the whole immigration thing. We caught a yellow cab and I was irritated again because we gave the name of the hotel that we were given and the taxi driver wanted to lecture us because the hotel was not where he thought it was. Then he got an attitude when Aidan gave him the tip -- Aidan ended up giving him extra. I wouldn't have given him anything!The room was nice, and we had a view of Shea Stadium. We had room service -- an excellent steak dinner were french fries and broccoli. We watched the Discovery Channel Atlas program on Italy before going to bed. Aidan didn't sleep well as the stress from yesterday had gotten to him. It definitely was an irritating day. We left for the airport at 5 a.m. with the shared goal of relaxing in our bed at home. We got through the airport pretty well and had an hour before flight. My coughing was awful, but we boarded our flight to Bermuda. We’re Home!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment