Today was doctor's appointment day. I now know why I don't like having the first appointment of the day - we always seem to get there before the office opens and then have to wait around for someone to get there. Added to that, I have more time to work myself up into a state. This morning we were 30 minutes early. Thankfully Aidan took me to get a newspaper and a donut for afterwards. By the time we got back to the office, someone had arrived and we read the newspaper in the waiting room until we were called.
It turned out to be our 'decision-making' appointment. We're officially delivering in Bermuda on December 22nd! Dec 29th isn't an option because the hospital isn't taking any elective surgeries that week since Dec 27 & 28 are holidays (observing Christmas and Boxing Days) and plus my doctor will be in the US with his family that week. I lost weight (only 1/4 lb) and my BP was ok but definitely higher than it was over the last 2 weeks of testing at home. I thought I was home free for 2 weeks until he said that I need to go to the hospital for the series of 2 steroid shots to mature sproglet's lungs, just to be safe in any situation. And to do that, I'd have to go over to the hospital... today and again tomorrow. So I got my appointment card for 2 weeks hence and we were off to the hospital.
The registration desks are located next to the emergency area of the hospital so it has a tendency to be pretty busy. We had to wait in line for me to check in - and no, the yoga breathing wasn't helping any! I had to have my paperwork processed twice because the first set had me going into emergency to be seen... I was not amused! The second set of documentation was correct so we quickly went up to the Maternity Ward, were buzzed in and taking to the admitting section of the ward. I received instruction on what they were going to do - a shot to my backside and I would need to come back for a 2nd shot the same time tomorrow. There was some confusion over the time (the ward clocks had not been shifted back to reflect daylight savings time) but it didn't stop the shot from being given. And boy, did that thing sting. Aidan said it was because I moved - well I'm sorry, I am not good with needles! She wanted to then take my blood pressure but we convinced her otherwise. Once she understood that I had an interesting case of white coat fever she said it was probably for the best since they would have kept me there until the levels were ok (like that would have happened).
So after tomorrow morning's shot, my next appointment is Nov 23rd and perhaps we'll then go weekly until 'Eviction Day'. Aidan and I are feeling a bit stunned - the countdown is for real. We have some significant stuff to sort out in the coming weeks. And silly us, we're actually contemplating holding our annual Open House on Dec 18th since... we'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment